Certified translation: visas for studying abroad

Studying abroad can be a very enriching experience from both a personal and a professional viewpoint. Are you also looking to go abroad for an extended period, broaden your horizons and immerse yourself in a foreign culture? If you are interested in applying to a university abroad, you should also be looking into student visas and certified translations.

When do you need a visa and what do you need to take into account when having your application translated?

Anyone going abroad to study will need to get properly organised. This page sets out the basic information you will need in order to apply for a visa successfully, as well as some valuable tips on why you should not skimp on having arranging for a certified translation of your documents.

Is a visa required?

Thanks to the agreement on the free movement of persons, Swiss citizens staying in most EU/EFTA countries for under three months do not need to register with the local authorities. However, even if you are staying for a short period, you should always contact the residents’ registration authority in advance to see if you need to register. This will prevent any unpleasant surprises on your arrival.

If you want to study for a longer period abroad or in a non-EU/EFTA country, however, you will usually need a visa. Whether this applies to your particular situation will depend on the rules for entering and staying in your chosen host country. You should contact the local authorities ahead of time to find out which documents you will need.

How long does a visa application take?

Applying for a visa can be a lengthy process. It can take up to two months after you apply for your visa to be granted. You should therefore start with the formalities sooner rather than later, to make sure there are no delays or disappointments in store when you do travel.

Why do you need a certified translation?

Your documents will need to be submitted in the official language of your host country. This is not a task you should undertake by yourself, no matter how good your command of the language! Only qualified, experienced translators know all the rules and requirements that the target documents will need to fulfil. Furthermore, these documents will always need to be certified – this is what gives them their official character and means they can be accepted in any country.

At SemioticTransfer, you’re in safe hands

Need a certified translation for your visa? Look no further: you’ve come to the right place. SemioticTransfer is an experienced and long-established translation agency that offers a swift and professional translation service.

We guarantee that we will translate your documents accurately and effectively. We will also reproduce the layout of your original document and take into account the requirements of your destination country.

If you want to know more about certified translations or if you have any questions about them, you can go to our FAQ page or get in touch with us. We look forward to hearing from you.

Ask for offer